What Information Is Needed to File Taxes at H&R Block?

by Michael Dreiser

H&R Block is a U.S.-based tax preparation company offering numerous services but specializing in the preparation of U.S. individual income tax returns. Individual income tax payers going to an H&R Block office for tax preparation, or to any other income tax preparer, will need to bring specific personal and income tax information to ensure their return is completed fully and accurately.

Personal Identifying Information

Taxpayers will need to provide the tax preparer with personal identifying information, used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to match the taxpayer with their tax records. This information includes the taxpayers' name and address as well as that of his or her spouse, if applicable, and the Social Security number of any dependents.

Prior Year Tax Return

The taxpayer's previous tax records will help the preparer prepare the current year tax return. For most taxpayers, only the immediate prior year's tax return is necessary, although a few taxpayers with complicated tax scenarios may need to provide several years of records.

Employee Information

Taxpayers should bring the tax payer any Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, provided by employers.

Investment Data

When a taxpayer has investment income, the taxpayer typically receives a Form 1099 detailing the amount of that income. There are various types of Form 1099, such as Form 1099-INT, for interest income. The taxpayer should bring all Forms 1099 received to the tax preparer.

Cost Data

When the taxpayer sells a capital asset, often a stock or a bond, only the gross proceeds from the sale are reported to the IRS. The taxpayer should provide the tax preparer with information regarding the taxpayer's cost to acquire the capital asset, known as the capital asset's basis.

Other Income

Taxpayers should provide the tax payer with details of any other type of income received, including, for example, self-employment income or gambling income. Some types of income may be non-taxable but the tax preparer will help determine this. In addition, some forms of income may be non-investment income reported on various Forms 1099. When the taxpayer has self-employment income, the taxpayer should additionally bring a record of expenses to deduct against the gross amount of such income.

Itemized Deductions

If the taxpayer intends on itemizing deductions, which many taxpayers do not, the taxpayer should bring all records relating to itemized deductions. These include charitable contribution receipts, real estate and personal property tax invoices, mortgage interest statements, records of state and local income tax payments, non-reimbursed employment related costs, and amounts paid for healthcare and medical costs.

About the Author

Michael Dreiser started writing professionally in 2010. He is a certified public accountant with experience working for a large New York City accountancy and expertise in areas ranging from private equity taxation to investment management. He holds a Master of Business Administration in international finance from l’École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées in Paris.