Income Tax Tips for the Newly Married

by Stephanie D

Newly married couples deal with new life changes during their first year of marriage, one of them being the way the file their taxes. Newly married couples have the option to file their taxes jointly or separately. Recently married couples should consider a few basic tips to make the transition with taxes as smoothly as possible.

IRS Notification

Notify the Internal Revenue Service of any name change that occurs during your marriage. In addition, fill out a change of address form, Form 8822, to keep the most up to date record in their files. Get Form 8822 at the IRS website or call the IRS and request a form to be sent to be mailed.

Social Security Administration Notification

Notify the Social Security Administration as soon right after the wedding. They will organize and maintain social security numbers and cards. Make sure it matches when filing taxes or wait for tax returns. Notify the Social Security Administration in person at a local office and receive a notification in form by phone or online as well.

US Postal Service Notification

Notify the United States Postal Service of any change in name or in address. Notifying the postal service helps stay organized and receive any important mail or communications that may happen during this transition period between individuals and the IRS.

Employer Notification

Make sure both employers have any change in name and change in address as well. Keeping employers up to date with any changes ensures getting the correct tax forms and W2 forms at the end of the year, which are needed to file tax returns. In addition, recalculate withholdings to make sure you both are withholding as much as needed to each pay period because of a potential new tax bracket.

IRA deducations

Check your IRA deduction status. After marriage you may or may not qualify for the same IRA deductions as you did beforehand.

Filing Status

Consider and evaluate needs on whether to file jointly or separately. Depending on the income status, calculate the best tax-filing option to maximize income. Generally, filing jointly is the "best option" for most newlyweds.

About the Author

Stephanie D has been writing and exploring the outdoors for as long as she can remember. She has spent time climbing across the United States and backpacking out west. Stephanie D earned her Bachelor of Science in computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Photo Credits