How to File Taxes After Marriage

by Steven White

Marriage is the joining of two people's lives including their assets. The IRS offers three different filing options for married couples: Head of Household, Married Filing Jointly and Married Filing Separately. The greatest tax advantage is the Head of Household filing, followed by Married Filing Jointly.

Obtain a copy of both you and your spouse's W-2, 1099's, and 1098's.

Select the married filing jointly option on your 1040 tax form.

Fill in the required information, remember to include any incomes and deductions from either one of you.

List all children as dependents to receive the proper tax credit.

Sign the form. Remember that both of you must sign the bottom of the tax form.


  • For those with multiple incomes or assets such as businesses or houses consider using filing software such as Turbo Tax or consulting a professional agency such as H&R; Block.

Items you will need

  • Form 1040

About the Author

Steven White is a privately contracted software engineer and efficiency analyst. He has more than five years of experience providing technical support for AT&T broadband customers. Along with his technology background, White enjoys carpentry and plumbing.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/ Images